Life at Rajshahi
Rajshahi was formerly known as Rampur Boalia. An epigraphic record engraved on the Dargah (mausoleum) of the famous saint Hazrat Shah Makdhum (Rh.) indicates that the antiquity of Rajshahi goes back to at least 1634 A.D. The town was given importance in 1825, when the East India Company shifted the administrative headquarters of the district of Rajshahi from Natore to then Rampur Boalia, mainly for the ease of communication from Kolkata through the Hooghly river, Bhairab River and Padma river. Rajshahi Municipality, which was one of the first municipalities in Bangladesh, was established in 1876.Rajshahi Municipality was renamed as Rajshahi Purashabha, and finally, Rajshahi Purshava was declared Rajshahi City Corporation in 1991. Besides the City Corporation, a governing body named Rajshahi Unnayan Kartripaksha (Rajshahi Development Authority-RDA) is there to plan the development of the city and to coordinate all the development related work.
Places of interest
Parks and zoo
Accommodation and food
- Rajshahi University
- Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology
- Rajshahi College
- Rajshahi Medical College
- New Government Degree College, Rajshahi
- Rajshahi Government City College
- Rajshahi Government Women’s College
- Teacher’s Training College
- Higher Secondary Teacher’s Training Institute
- Silk Research and Training Institute
- Rajshahi Polytechnic Institute
- Varendra University
- North Bengal International University
- Hasan Azizul Huq, Linguist, Author, Story-writer.
- Sir Jadunath Sarkar
- Ila Mitra
- Ritwik Ghatak
- Mohammad Shamsuzzoha, Educator, Professor of Rajshahi University, Active participant of Bengali Language Movement.
- Andrew Kishore, Singer