Welcome to the Department of Geography & Environmental Studies
Message from Chairman
Department of Geography and Environmental Studies is one of the oldest and largest departments in the University. The Department started functioning with the name Geography with few students and teachers in 1955. The first batch of students in a two-year postgraduate course was admitted in 1955. Subsequently three years honours course was introduced in 1962. Since its establishment, the department has been growing almost continuously. The pace of growth has increased after the liberation of Bangladesh in 1971. Currently the department has 19 teachers (10 are professors), 07 Officers and 10 staffs. Total number of students is around 400. With several changes in academic set up and curriculum the department is now placed under the newly created Faculty of Life and Earth Science.