MEMORANDUM OF CONSTITUTION
(Approved in the General Body Meeting on 13 April 2013)
RAJSHAHI UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (RUAA)
Since the inception of the University of Rajshahi (RU) in 1953, it has produced a large number of graduates, many of whom are well placed, experienced and eager to set a link with their Alma mater and do something good for the University to help it flourish as a centre of academic excellence nationally and globally. The university also needs the contribution of its alumnus / Alumna to cherish its goal. To ease the reciprocal procedure, the University has planned to introduce in its administrative organogram the ALUMNI association to establish contacts with its graduates settled home and abroad, to benefit from their counseling, guidance and help in every respect for the all-round development of their Alma Mater.
The urgency of an effective alumni association has long been felt for the development of the university’s intellectual and socio-economic activities. This region, which presented the world community with a galaxy of celebrities in the realm of ideas and thought like Jagadish Chandra Bose, Rabindra Nath Tagore, Profulla Chandra Roy, Satyendra Nath Bose,
Kazi Nazrul Islam, Mohammad Shahidullah, Qudrat-e-Khuda, Qazi Motahar Hossain, Amartya Kumar Sen and Mohammad Yunus is now witnessing a sudden and sharp decline in the pursuit of knowledge and the cultivation of intellect.
It is time to acknowledge the fact that the standard of education is declining very fast and scientific research, in particular, is in disarray. The monumental work of Professor S.N. Bose on Quantum Statistics in 1924, done in this very land at the University of Dhaka appears now to be a distant dream. It is now time to locate and remove the obstacles in the way to progress before it is too late to have the situation in control. The promising talents, that still we have, cannot produce the best in the schools of research due to lack of adequate facilities. Many of them being frustrated, leave the country to make use of better opportunities abroad.
Out of the many contributing factors, the prime reasons for declining standard in the education and research, are poor laboratories and impoverished libraries. The University does not have enough funds to procure books, subscribe for the journals and maintain the standard of labs. for imparting and facilitating quality education to the students; and to provide requisite facilities to the teachers and researchers for furtherance of their knowledge. In this situation, RUAA with valued suggestions of its honourable members can contribute significantly to the overall development of education and research in their Alma Mater, so that RU, the second oldest and largest educational institution in Bangladesh, emerges as an excellent institution of research and as one of the major contributors in the development of science and technology of the country. Then and then only RU can sail with confidence towards the high tide of international intellectual concourse, for which we all can feel very proud.
With the purpose in view, RU in its 87th resolution of the 357th syndicate meeting dated 14/24-10-99 and 18th resolution of the 409th syndicate meeting dated 22-2-07 has formed an Alumni Organising Committee to frame rules and regulations to carry out the Alumni activities through RUAA which shall be a non-political, non-communal and non-profitable organization. The committee is pleased to submit hereby the following proposed rules and regulations (constitution) for the Association.
The name of the ALUMNI organisation shall be ‘RAJSHAHI UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION’, hereafter referred to as ‘RUAA’.
2. Aims and Objectives
The purpose and objectives of the association shall be:
- to maintain contacts with the Alumni, home and abroad and exchange ideas and information through communications and congregations;
- to advise and help the students with their problems and provide financial assistance to the poor students;
- to monitor and help promote the standard of research activities in RU with special attention to the M. Phil. / Ph.D. programs and quality of publications;
- to help foster a global perspective/ standard in teaching-learning of RU and prepare students for the global job market;
- to develop collaborations in research works with reputed institutions/ organizations, home and abroad;
- to arrange seminars and workshops for refreshing/updating knowledge and information for the alumni and RU students;
- to provide assistance for short-term training of the young researchers abroad;
- to provide accommodation to the Alumni when they visit Rajshahi and arrange seminar talks to be delivered or workshops to be conducted by them;
- to honour the Alumni for their outstanding contribution;
- to publish regularly the activities of RUAA and communicate with the Alumni, home and abroad, in the form of a newsletter, magazine and in website;
- to coordinate/integrate/encourage different Alumni Committees of Department/ Institution /Hall of residence/Batch/Locality and encourage the formation of new such Alumni Association;
- to orient the Alumni for effective representation in different bodies (syndicate/senate, etc.) and organizations, home and abroad.
3. Membership/Associate Membership (M/AM)
Any person holding an Honours and/or Master or M. Phil. or Ph.D. degree from the University of Rajshahi through a hall of residence or an Institute of the university but presently not attached to the university as a ‘student’ (except M.Phil. & Ph.D. student), shall be eligible to be a Member of RUAA who shall undertake to abide by the rules and regulations as laid down in its constitution and shall pay into the appropriate fund(s) of the association such subscription/fees as may be proposed herein after.
Any person interested in welfare affairs of RU and the Association, with a Bachelor (Honours) and/or Master degree from the university or from its affiliated Colleges/Institutes or served the university for at least ten consecutive years in the capacity of faculty member shall be eligible to be an Associate Member (AM) of the association on the recommendation of a member. He/She shall have to pay into the funds of the association such subscription /fees as proposed herein after and shall enjoy all the privileges of a member including the right to vote in the election except holding an office of RUAA. The membership session shall be January to December of each year. An Alumnus/Alumna willing to be a member of RUAA at any time of a year shall have to pay full subscription for that year.
4. Categories of Member with Subscriptions/Fees
- Member (M): Minimum Biennial subscription/fee for an Alumnus/Alumna living in Bangladesh shall be Tk 1,000/= (one thousand) and for an overseas Alumnus/Alumna shall be US $50 (fifty US dollars) only.
- Life Member (LM): For an Alumnus/Alumna living inside and outside Bangladesh, the subscription/fees shall be Tk 5,000/= (five thousand) and US $200 (two hundred US dollars) respectively at a time. A non-Alumnus/non-Alumna on payment of this amount or more shall be offered Associate Life Membership (ALM).
- Golden Member (GM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 50,000 (Fifty thousand) or more at a time shall be offered golden membership. A non-Alumnus/ non-Alumna donating the same amount can be an associate golden member (AGM). A GM/ AGM shall be honoured with a gold-plated lapel pin/brooch containing Rajshahi University / RUAA monogram.
- Distinguished Donor Member (DDM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 1,00,000 (one lac) or more at a time shall be offered Distinguished Donor membership. A non-Alumnus/non-Alumna donating the same amount shall be offered Associate Distinguished Donor membership (ADDM). The name and address of a DDM /ADDM shall be written on the wall-board of the Alumni building.
- Grand Donor Member (GDM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 5,00,000/= (five lac) or more at a time shall be offered Grand Donor membership. A non-Alumnus/ non-Alumna donating the same amount shall be offered Associate grand donor membership (AGDM). The photograph of a GDM/AGDM with name and citation shall be hung on the wall of the Alumni building.
- Patron Member (PM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 25,00,000/= (twenty five lac) or more at a time shall be offered Patron membership. A non-Alumnus/ non-Alumna donating the same amount shall be offered Associate Patron Membership (APM). The Photograph with name and citation of a PM/APM shall be hung on the wall of the Alumni building. If this amount is meant for room making, the room shall be named according to the patron’s desire and the name of the donor shall be inscribed on the wall of the room.
- Distinguished Patron Member (DPM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 100,00,000 (one crore) or more at a time shall be offered Distinguished Patron Membership. A non-Alumnus/non-Alumna donating the same amount shall be offered Associate Distinguished Patron Membership (ADPM). The Photograph with name and citation of the donor shall be on the wall of the Alumni building. If the donation is meant for a room in the building, the room shall be named according to the desire of the donor and her/his name shall be engraved on the wall of the room.
- Grand Patron Member (GPM): An Alumnus/Alumna donating at least Tk 10,00,00,000/= (ten crore) or more shall be offered Grand Patron membership. A non-Alumnus/ non-Alumna donating the same amount shall be offered Associate Grand Patron Membership (AGPM). If the amount is donated for room making, the room shall be named according to the donor’s desire and the photograph with name and citation of the donor shall be engraved on the wall of the room.
- Honorary Life Member (HLM): A distinguished person may be conferred the Honorary Life Membership of the association in recognition of her/his long and distinguished/ outstanding/ eminent services to the cause of humanity, culture, education and national welfare. He/She shall enjoy all the privileges of a Member/Life member excepting right to hold an office of RUAA.
5. The amount of subscription/fee for any type of membership shall be revised from time to time by the Executive Council (EC) subject to the approval of the General Body (GB) of RUAA as may be deemed expedient.
6. Process of obtaining RUAA membership
- Member: Anyone seeking a membership of RUAA shall apply to the Secretary General of RUAA on the prescribed form duly filled in along with the requisite subscription/ fee and other relevant materials as directed from time to time.
- Associate Member: Anyone seeking an associate membership shall apply to the Secretary General of the association on the prescribed form duly filled in along with the requisite subscription/fees and other desired documents. The executive council of the Association in the next meeting, shall offer the candidate Associate Membership.
- Honorary Life Member: The executive council on a proposal by two Executive Council members or six General Members submitted in writing to the Secretary General shall offer a distinguished person an Honorary Membership by a two-thirds majority vote subject to the approval by the GB.
7. Rights and Privileges of Members
- Every member shall have the right to be present at all general body meetings and express his/her views, regarding RUAA and its activities. A member of RUAA shall be entitled to vote, propose and / or second candidates for RUAA executive council from among the members belonging to the categories 4(b) to 4(h) mentioned in this constitution (LM, GM, DDM, GDM, PM, DPM, GPM). To be eligible for executive council membership a candidate shall have to be a member of RUAA for at least two years.
- Every member shall be entitled to receive a copy of publications of all literatures, Journals, informative materials of RUAA either free of cost or at a reduced rate, as decided by the executive council. Members visiting RU may be honoured with free service, accommodation, etc. subject to the availability of the facilities.
- Any one with RUAA membership shall elect the Executive Council from among those who have been life member of RUAA for at least two years and shall also appoint Auditor(s) in a manner stated herein after.
8. Cessation of Membership
A person shall cease to be a member of RUAA if:
- he/she is declared to have an unsound mind or found guilty by a relevant body/court of moral turpitude;
- he/she shall have given notice in writing to the Executive Council for such purpose of his/her intention to resign his/her membership then as from the date on which such notice shall have been received by the Executive Council;
- any subscriptions/fees payable by him/her remained unpaid for one month, his/her membership shall stand cancelled automatically.
- Office: The office of RUAA shall be located in its own building on the RU Campus but until its own building is ready, it will function in a temporary office allocated by the RU authority.
- RUAA shall consist of:
- a General Body (GB) comprising all members of RUAA;
- an Executive Council (EC) that shall be elected by the GB of RUAA in a manner stated herein after.
- Branches: Branch/Regional offices of RUAA may be named after the places where they may be located. The executive council shall have the right to establish or affiliate branches outside Rajshahi, within and outside Bangladesh. Such branches shall have an Executive Committee elected by members of a specific region / area. The conditions to be fulfilled to establish a branch shall be as follows:
- at least 30 (thirty) life members of RUAA shall be required to form a Branch / Regional committee of RUAA in a Country/Region/ District/ Sub division/City.
- there shall not be more than one Branch/Regional committee of RUAA in a district/city/region;
- any person holding an Honours and /or Master or M.Phil. or Ph.D. degree from the University of Rajshahi through a hall of residence or an institute of the university shall be eligible to be a member of a Branch/Regional committee of the RUAA provided that he/she is a life member of RUAA obtained by applying to the Secretary General of the RUAA in the prescribed form duly filled in along with the requisite subscription/fee (U$ 200) and other relevant materials and shall undertake to abide by the rules and regulations of the constitution;
- the executive committee of the Branch/Region shall consist of not more than 15 (fifteen) members including not more than 8 (eight) with designation as in EC from among the Branch/Regional members elected in a manner stated in the constitution of the Branch/Regional committee;
- the Branch/Regional committee must be duly approved by the executive council of the RUAA;
- except for the welfare of Rajshahi University or its Alumnus/Alumna, no financial contribution in the form of donation/fees, etc. shall be collected by the Branch/Regional committee without prior approval of the RUAA executive council.
The detailed Rules, Regulations and other relevant instructions of RUAA shall be provided by the Executive Council from time to time as deemed necessary for the branches.
10. Composition of Executive Council (EC)
- The Executive Council shall consist of 31 (thirty one) members elected in a manner provided herein after.
- The Executive Council shall have the following Office Bearers elected for a two years’ term from among those who have been life members of RUAA for at least two years at a General body meeting:
President 1 (One) Vice-President (VP) 5 (Five): (Vice-President- 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5) Secretary General 1 (One) Treasurer 1 (One) Joint General Secretary (JS) 3 (Three): (Joint Secretary- 1, 2 & 3) Education & Cultural Secretary 1 (One) Welfare Secretary 1 (One) Office Secretary 1 (One) Executive Members 17 (Seventeen).
- The Vice-President-1 (VP-1), Secretary General, Joint General Secretary-1 (JS-1) and Treasurer of EC shall be from among the RUAA members serving in Rajshahi University/living in Rajshahi Metropolitan City.
- Executive Council Meeting: The EC shall meet at least 4 times a year at such time and place and to transact such business as may be notified by the Secretary General in consultation with the President.
- General Body Meeting: The GB meeting shall be called by the Secretary General of the Association in consultation with the President at such time and place and to transact such business as may be determined by the Executive Council at least once in a year.
- Requisition Meeting: An Extra-ordinary meeting of any of the above bodies may be convened by the Secretary General on written requisition by not less than one third of its total members stating the purpose to transact any business of urgent nature.
- The minutes of all meetings, confirmed at the next meeting, shall be deemed as valid documents.
- All notices of the meetings shall specify the date, time, place and nature of business to be transacted.
- Five days’ notice for the EC meeting and twenty one days’ notice for the GB meeting shall be sufficient.
- Emergency meeting of the EC to transact any urgent business may be called within 24 (twenty four) hours notice.
A notice may be served by RUAA upon any member, either personally or by sending it by post in a prepaid letter to the address of the member registered with RUAA.
- The quorum for the Executive Council meeting shall be at least one fourth of the total number of Executive Council members.
- The General Body meeting must have a quorum of at least one tenth of the total number of General Body members.
- If within one hour from the time appointed for holding a General Meeting, the required number to form the quorum is not present, the meeting, if convened on the requisition of members, shall be dissolved. In any other case, it shall stand adjourned for half an hour or for the next day, at the same time and place, or at such other date, time and place as the Chairman shall appoint, and if at such adjourned meeting the required number to form the quorum is not present within half an hour from the time appointed for holding the meeting, the members present, irrespective of the number, shall be the quorum.
14. Election of Executive Council (EC)
The executive council shall be elected by the GB in a manner provided below:
- In a GB meeting, properly notified at least twenty one days before, each member shall be provided with an up-to-date list of the members and eight ballot papers signed by the President/Secretary General (fourteen for the fourteen portfolios and one for seventeen EC members). Names along with membership numbers for each of the portfolios of the EC shall have to be proposed with a brief introduction to the proposed candidate(s) (not more than three minutes for portfolios other than the executive members and one minute for each member). One member can propose one name for one portfolio. If there is only one proposed candidate for a portfolio, the candidate shall be elected unopposed. If there is more than one valid candidate, proposed for one post, then one shall be elected by votes cast through the supplied ballot papers. The names of the valid candidates, along with the membership numbers, for various portfolios are to be put on board, which can be read by all the members of RUAA present in the meeting. Each member shall have to write down the name and membership number of the candidate from among the contenders whom he/she thinks to be the right person for each of the portfolios. The ballot papers shall be collected in a ballot-box and the voting shall stop after the declared time for the purpose is over. Candidate, who polls maximum number of votes for a position, shall be declared elected. In case of ties, the matter shall be resolved through lottery/toss.
- The EC shall be elected for a two years term. Two months or more before the completion of the two years’ term, the EC shall take necessary steps to elect the new EC. After the election the outgoing EC shall convene a joint meeting of the outgoing and incoming members of the executive council not later than a week after the completion of the two years’ term to install the incoming EC and hand over charges to it and after taking over, the new EC shall hold its first meeting after the joint meeting on the same day.
- Same person shall not be elected as President for more than two consecutive terms and this restriction applies also to the post of Secretary General.
- The EC shall have the responsibility to frame rules and procedures as and when deemed expedient. These framed rules and procedures shall have to be approved in the next GB meeting by simple majority vote before these are enacted.
- In a poll every member present in person at the meeting shall have one vote and no proxy shall be admissible.
- For each category of position, the ballot paper shall be as follows (for example):
RAJSHAHI UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (RUAA)
- Designation: President
- Preferred Name:
- Membership Number:
For other portfolios similar shall be the nature of the ballot paper. Only the portfolio shall be changed.
- Designation: Executive Members
- Preferred Name:
- Membership Number:
For other Executive members similar shall be the nature of the ballot paper.
15. Meetings of Executive Council
- The President of RUAA shall preside over as Chairman at every General meeting. In his/her absence, VP-1, in the latter’s absence VP-2, and in his/her absence any member of the Executive Council chosen by the members present in the meeting shall preside over the meeting as Chairman.
- The General Body meeting of RUAA shall consider the Secretary General’s report on the activities of RUAA, and the Treasurer’s report on the income, expenditure, account, balance sheet, and the report of the Auditor(s) appointed by the EC.
- No business shall be transacted at any meeting unless a required number for quorum is present when the meeting proceeds to business.
- In any meeting in which a quorum is formed, the Chairman may adjourn a meeting from time to time, and from place to place, with the consent of the members present. Whenever a meeting is adjourned, notice of the adjourned meeting shall be given in the same manner as that of an original meeting. However, if the meeting is adjourned for not more than a week, then time and place for the adjourned meeting can be declared before adjournment. No business item shall be transacted at any adjourned meeting other than the unresolved businesses, which might have been transacted, at the meeting that was adjourned.
- An issue, put to vote in a general meeting, shall be decided by raising hands by a majority of the members present in person and entitled to vote. A declaration by the Chairman of the meeting to the effect that a resolution has been adopted, by a particular majority, or lost, or not carried by a majority shall be conclusive, and an entry to that effect in the minutes of the meeting book of RUAA shall made as evidence thereof.
- In the case of an equal number of votes, the Chairman of the meeting shall be entitled to a casting vote.
16. Jurisdiction and Function of Executive Council
- The EC of RUAA shall have the supreme responsibility in all matters of RUAA, vested on by the GB. It may function either directly or through such committees of office bearers or members of the Council, as it may deem fit, with delegation of the powers and responsibilities vested on it.
- The EC may elect a Sub-Committee with not more than 3 (three) members including the President/Vice-Presidents/Treasurer/Secretary General/Joint General Secretaries to look after the day-to-day affairs of the association delegating such powers and responsibilities as it may deem fit.
- The Council shall control, supervise, direct and guide the activities and affairs of its branches in a manner as laid down from time to time in conformity with the RUAA rules and regulations.
- The Council shall receive and disburse all money realized on behalf of the Association exclusively for the benefit of the Association and create reserve fund or any other fund and/or invest such money of the Association in such securities as may be admissible by the relevant laws and as deemed proper.
- The Council shall create, register and put into operation Trust, Advisory Council, Standing Committees for such purpose of the Association with such terms, powers and functions as may be deemed expedient.
- The Council shall maintain national and international relations within the scope of the Association. The EC shall receive and disburse aids, and all other types of assistance, received in cash or kinds from national or international sources, maintaining the appropriate records.
17. General Body
- All RUAA members shall form the GB of the Association.
- the General Body shall:
- be the supreme authority in all matters of the association;
- at its meeting elects its EC office bearers and approves the name of Auditor(s) in a manner provided herein after;
- consider and approve at the General Body meeting the audited balance sheet and income and expenditure of the Association;
- iv) consider such matters of general policy as may be referred to it by EC;
- v) do such other things as may be conducive to the aims and objectives of EC.
18. Powers and Functions of Office Bearers
Office bearers shall have the power and functions as mentioned below:
- President: The President shall preside over all meetings of RUAA. He/She shall guide, supervise and inspire the activities of RUAA. While presiding over meeting, He/She shall have no vote of his/her own but shall have a casting vote in case of equality of votes on any matter to be decided by vote.
- Vice-Presidents: The Vice-Presidents shall have the same powers and duties as the President in the latter’s absence
- Secretary General: The Secretary General shall be the Executive Head of the Association with the following powers and duties:
- The Secretary General shall be the Executive Head of the RUAA Administration. He/She shall exercise control over all the salaried staff in the RUAA offices. He/She shall have the right to suspend any salaried personnel of the Association if he/she does not perform well. All matters relating to the appointment or dismissal of the salaried staff of the Association shall be placed before EC for approval.
- The Secretary General shall have the right to spend an amount of money not exceeding Tk. 1,000/- (one thousand) in his/her own discretion and sums not exceeding Tk. 5,000/- (five thousand) with the consent of the Treasurer, provided that such expenditure shall be reported to the next meeting of EC of the Management.
- The Secretary General shall, in consultation with the President, convene the meetings of EC and GB, and maintain proper records of the minutes of all such meetings.
- He/She shall be responsible for keeping the books of accounts and office records in order and shall correspond on behalf of RUAA on its day-to-day affairs.
- Subject to the direction, control and supervision of EC, he/she shall be responsible for the conduct of affairs of RUAA.
- He/She shall submit annual report on the activities of the Association at the Annual General meeting.
- He/She shall delegate such of his/her powers to the Joint General Secretaries or any employees of the Association as he/she thinks proper.
- He/She shall do such other thinks as may be conducive to the aims and objectives of RUAA.
- Joint General Secretaries: The Joint General Secretaries shall assist the Secretary General as required by the latter and one of the Joint Secretaries, as assigned by the Secretary General, shall act as the Secretary General in the latter’s absence of not less than 30 days from the Headquarters.
- Treasurer: The treasurer shall maintain all accounts and keep the funds of the association in Bank approved by the EC. All accounts in a Bank thus selected shall be operated with the signature of the Secretary General and the Treasurer. In absence of the treasurer for not less than 30 days, the VP-1 / VP-2 shall act as treasurer or as decided by the EC.
- The treasurer shall present the audited accounts at the General Body meeting.
19. Executive Council Meeting
- The EC shall meet for the dispatch of business, adjourn and otherwise regulate their meetings as it deems fit. If at any meeting, the President is not present within half an hour after the time appointed for holding a meeting, the members of EC present shall choose VP-1, in the latter’s absence they will choose VP–2, and even in his/her absence, someone from among the members present to chair the meeting till the arrival of the President or even the entire meeting if the President does not arrive in the meeting that day.
- A meeting of the members of EC at which a quorum is formed shall be competent to exercise all the authorities, powers and discretions of RUAA vested on the EC by or under the regulations.
20. Accounts: The Executive Council shall keep proper books of account to be kept with respect to
- The Executive Council shall keep proper books of account to be kept with respect to:
- the assets and liabilities of RUAA;
- the sums of money received and expended by RUAA and the matters in respect of which such receipts and expenditures take place;
- all sales and purchases of goods by RUAA.
- The books of account shall be kept at the office, or at such other place or places as the Council shall think fit, and shall always be open to inspection of the EC members.
- RUAA in General Body meeting may, from time to time, make reasonable conditions and regulations as to the time and manner of the inspection by the members of the association, or any of them, and subject to such conditions and regulations, the books shall be open to inspection of members at all reasonable times during business hours.
- The EC, at least once in every year, shall place before GB meeting an income and expenditure account for the period, since the last preceding account, together with a balance sheet accompanied by a report of the Council and a report of the Auditor(s). The balance sheet shall be sent at least seven days before the meeting to all persons entitled to receive notice of General Meeting in a manner in which notices are directed to be served.
The accounts of RUAA, at least once in every year, shall be audited and the correctness of the income and expenditure account, and the balance sheet be ascertained by one or two Auditor(s) appointed by the GB meeting.
22. Press Statements
No EC member shall have the right to issue press statements about the policies of development schemes of the Association without the previous approval of the Executive Council. Any EC member violating this condition shall be liable to be removed from membership of the Executive Council.
The rules and regulations of RUAA shall not be amended, altered, repealed or replaced without the consent of at least two-third majority of members present in General Body meeting of which 21 (twenty one) days’ notice shall have to be given stating the nature of amendments proposed.
This constitution shall come in force from the date of General Body meeting in which it is approved
(approved in the General Body Meeting on 13 April 2013)