Mission, Vision, Objective and Core Values
Department of Sociology: Vision, Mission, Overall Objectives, Learning outcomes and Core values
The department strives
- to generate new sociological knowledge;
- to sustain and enhance quality in teaching-learning, and research; and
iii. to innovate sociological means of solving social problems to meet the changing needs of Bangladesh society.
The department designs its mission
- to assist students in learning to think sociologically in order to understand, define, and analyze social phenomena;
- to create sociological knowledge through research and rigorous inquiry;
iii. to equip students with problem solving, leadership and teamwork skills, along with a strong commitment to striving for the best possible academic achievements, maintaining a high quality of moral principles;
- to teach the learners to become critical, socially sentient and professionally competent to adapt to the changing world;
- to develop human resources with a view to serve the society in a meaningful and sustainable way.
Sociology is the science of society. The Department of Sociology envisages production of graduates who would constitute analytically skilled, ethically sound human resource with social commitment and having a world view with strong sociological imagination. Thus, the overall objectives of the undergraduate curriculum are to equip students with in-depth knowledge about society and culture in national and global contexts. The students of this department gain adequate insights into relatively permanent traits as well as the dynamics of the human society in order to be competent citizens of a global village.
Overall Learning Outcomes
The MSS program is structured in such a way that the students are able to demonstrate some originality in the application of knowledge and to develop an understanding regarding how the boundaries of knowledge are constructed. After the program, students are capable of dealing with complex issues both systematically and creatively. Besides, the independent capacity of the students in addressing issues and problems will be enhanced. Considering the specific objectives, after completion of the MSS program in sociology a student will be able to:
- understand the advanced trends in sociological theories and to analyze social realities critically;
- comprehend theoretical perspectives and consequences of social inequality;
- understand how society influences politics and how politics is influenced by society;
- conceptualize the concepts of ‘development’ and ‘underdevelopment’ from a broader spectrum;
- analyze the population trend and social aspects of demographic variables in Bangladesh;
- understand the historical evolution of human settlements and the rise of urban society;
- differentiate transnational social relationships;
- draw useful conclusions about the roles of various state and non-state actors in the promotion and enforcement of human rights;
- grasp a set of conceptual frameworks for analyzing the social policy and policy research; and
- apply the problem-solving approaches in social life.
The following organizational core values guide promotion of students’ learning and achievements, enhancement of erudition of the faculties, advancement of research, and mechanism to engage in nation building:
The department constantly strives to achieve excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative endeavors, delivery of student services, and in all aspects of its operation to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
The department maintains commitment, honesty, strong ethical value, and accountability among all members irrespective of teachers, students and office staff of the department.
The department offers rigorous, comprehensive, and state-of-the-art academic courses, syllabuses, curricula, and co-curricular activities to develop effective leadership within students.
The department is committed to facilitate team spirit for developing effective teamwork and bond among the faculty, staff, and students.
Diversity, respect and equity
The department embraces and promotes diversity in its policies and practices to prepare its learners to live and work successfully in a globally interdependent society. It strives to create diverse learning environments by welcoming teachers, learners, and staff that bring diverse ideas, values, backgrounds, and beliefs to the learning and work environment. Each member of the department is treated equitably with respect and dignity in all situations.
Creativity and innovation
The department encourages and supports its faculty, staff, and students in all forms of creativity and scholarship including the discovery, invention, innovation, and application of such knowledge in learning, teaching, and research.
The department offers ample opportunity to acquire knowledge and develop skills while they provide the community with services and assistance. Students’ learning is extended beyond the classroom and get involved in the community and thus help to foster the development of a sense of support for others. There is a ‘Youth Group’ formed by students of the department under a joint collaboration program with Save the Children and Incidin, Bangladesh. The Youth Group has established a children’s organization named Shishu Niketan. Through this organization they are engaged in providing after-school educational services to underprivileged children who live in the immediate vicinity of the university campus, including lessons on different co-curricular activities (e.g., drawing, music, reciting poems etc.), lessons on health and hygiene practices and the like. The Youth Group also organizes programs to observe Children’s Week, engages in activities like distributing warm clothing in winter, arranging blood grouping programs for children, etc.