The Department of Physics started functioning in the university campus in July, 1958. From the inception, the department is known to be the most disciplined department in the university, both in administration and in academic activities. Academic members are very particular in completing their courses, taking examinations and publishing results according to the calendar published by the department at the beginning of every academic year. It is the tradition of the department to publish the examination results within the quickest possible time and thus it has become possible for the department to avoid the academic backlog in the university. The department constantly reviews its curriculum and takes steps to enhance facilities to match the present day need and thus prepares the students to face the challenge of the coming century.