Welcome to the Department of English
Message from Chairman
The Department of English is one of the seven departments with which the University of Rajshahi started its academic activities in 1954. The department started its first academic session with 3 students in 1954. University classes at that time were held in Rajshahi College. In 1961, with a number of other departments, the Department of English was shifted to the university’s own campus at Motihar where it was housed in the east corner of the first floor of the First Science Building. In 1965, it was moved to its faculty building Shahidullah Kala Bhaban (known as the First Arts Building at that time).