Rajshahi University Mental Health Center (RUMHC) is one of the service facilities approved by the syndicate of Rajshahi University with effect from 1st August 2017. This center is a new project of the university. Currently it is a relatively voluntary program to help the teachers and students of the university in their mental health problems. RUMHC is expecting two trained Psychotherapists in the service team within a month from Dhaka University Clinical Psychology Department’s ‘Nasirullah Psychotherapy Unit (NPU)’.
Objectives of the Mental Health Center
- Provide mental health counseling to the students, teachers, staff members and their dependents.
- Promote a relatively modern psycho-biological assessment/ diagnostic laboratory.
- Arrange short training courses for the students of Rajshahi University Psychology Department and Clinical Psychology Department, mainly to learn handling of the equipments and tests.
- Provide internship facilities for the students of Rajshahi University Psychology Department and Clinical Psychology Department.
- Open opportunities for public to obtain psychological services on payment, which will be an income generating source for the University.
- Conduct psycho-biological seminars, symposiums etc. from time to time towards awareness development in the field of mental health.
- Promote special education program for the autistic and other neuromotor disordered children of the teachers and staff of Rajshahi University.
- Arrange training courses for the parents/guardians of the children with autism and neuromotor disorders in relation to home based care programs.
- Undertake new programs towards prevention of mental health problems and mental disorders.
- Perform research or any other related program as assigned by the University.
Presently the Director of RUMHC, Dr Anwarul Hasan Sufi and Mr Tanzir Ahmed Tushar, Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor of Rajshahi University Psychology Department) are providing counseling services to the students who are in need of urgent help.
The students are to enlist their names at the office of the Student Advisor in the Administration Building. Then they are being provided the counseling schedule.
Secondly, the center is in the process of selecting at least one teacher from each department as ‘Mentors’ who will be provided necessary training on basic assessment techniques and Mental Health First Aid.